21
Jun

Keeping it cool

   Posted by: John   in Projects

Contractor 1: “OK, furnace is mounted in the garage.”

Contractor 2: “Perfect. Laundry is in the room between the garage and the house.”

Contractor 1: “Where do we put the thermostat?”

Contractor 2: “We should put it in the middle of the house, but if we put it in the hall next to the garage and laundry room we can save $2 in wiring.”

Contractor 1: “Works for me!”

That’s the only thing that makes sense. Of course, if we didn’t have critters we could keep the laundry and garage doors shut, but we do and so we can’t. So, what happens is, the doors are open and the heat from the garage and dryer were fooling the thermostat that was only 5 feet away.  It says 76 but the house is 68 and the unit is on solid.

So, part of the painting project was to move the thermostat to a better location in the house. It now sits regally on the wall outside of the kitchen. I was able to extract the dishwasher and cut a hole in the wall behind it, feed the wire down the inside of the wall and under the house. Then it was a simple matter of going under the house (yeah, when has crawling around under a house been a simple matter?) and pulling the wire through to where it goes up and into the furnace.  Connected it up at both ends, mounted the thermostat to the wall and turned it on. Works great! Where it used to be I just pushed the old wire into the hole, patched the drywall and texture, then painted over it.

The hall still gets a little warm but that’s expected with the doors open. The rest of the house is evenly comfortable now. It cost me $18 for a spool of wire. I will probably make that back the first month in electricity saved. In the winter, we had the same issue with the furnace. Cold air from the garage kept the furnace running a lot more than it needed.

The other thing with the furnace is that it uses two air filters that sit in a trough and are angled up, like a V.  I hate that arrangement. My experience with this is that they fill up with dust and the suction pulls one or both down until there is a gap that all the air goes through.  And at $10 a pop for good filters, it takes $20 every couple of months to replace them.  My answer to this was to get one of the washable filters that could be cut down to the proper flat size. I have used these every place I have lived and they work just fine. Just take them out every month, wash them off with a hose, let them dry and back in they go. The filter cost $20, which is what two filters would have cost the first change. Every time I clean it I am saving another $20.

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 21st, 2015 at 7:36 am and is filed under Projects. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a reply

Name (*)
Mail (will not be published) (*)
URI
Comment