19
Jun

Painting Projects

   Posted by: John   in Projects

One of the things with this house that Laura and I live in, the walls are all painted a chocolatey brown color. It’s a very nice color, but there’s a lot of it.  The kitchen and dining room are a lighter color, almost a rich tan. In areas where the lighter color is on the walls, the trim is the darker color, and vice versa. It does make the house seem dark and closed in (although the kitchen is fine).  Laura likes it though so repainting it all is out of the question.  I did manage to talk her into painting some walls in an accent color, lighter than the other two colors.

In the living room, we chose to do the West wall.  It is pretty plain in that it only has an arched doorway in the middle of it.  The peak of the vaulted ceiling side goes up to about 12 feet.  That’s not too bad, but I had to drag in the extension ladder to reach the top.  Removing the stuff on the wall was not a big deal (nor was putting it back). When I looked for the paint roller tubes, I could not find them. I was pretty sure I had some in the garage, but nope.  All I had was the edging tool that is about 3″ x 4″. I decided I was not going to let the lack of a roller stop me.  I used the tool do the edges and just for giggles started using it for the wall as well. It worked so well that I used it for everything. Maybe not as wide as a roller, but it used considerably less paint and made absolutely no mess.

Newly painted front room wall

The end result is fantastic. The room is much more inviting than it used to be, a lot warmer and lighter. In the picture the dark paint is pretty prominent, but the lighter color contrasts it beautifully.

I decided to do the back wall of the little hall through the doorway and it turned out very well. I did not originally do the wall around the bedroom door but the little bit of dark paint did not look right at all. I changed it to the lighter color and that fixed the problem completely.

Hallway and bedroom door

Everything required two coats to cover up the old dark color. At this point I had used about 60% of the gallon so I figured I had enough paint to do one wall in the other hall and one wall in the master bedroom.  The other hall is  narrow and tall. I had toyed with the idea of doing the lower part of the back wall, but decided to only do the top part. It turned out very well and makes the hall look a lot bigger and more inviting.

Other hallway

Other hallway

The master bedroom is another example of a room that is just too dark. Again, the color is nice, but it needs a little brightening. We decided to do the wall that has the window. The arched window over top of the drapes had rough cut cardboard over the opening. Yes brown, but very tacky looking. I brought home a couple of large cardboard pieces and cut a new one. This I coated with some primer and then some wall texture. Finally, I painted it in the trim color.  It needs another coat or two as it appears the cardboard sucked up some of the paint and the sheen is not even.

As for the wall itself, two coats of the light color makes all the difference. The room is brighter and looks a lot bigger.

Newly painted bedroom wall

I have to say I was very impressed with using that flat edging tool for the painting. It not only did the edges with remarkable precision, but it spread paint very evenly. It handled the texture better than any roller I have ever used.  I did the first coat vertically and the second coat horizontally. I used much less paint than a roller ever would have and the finish quality is perfect. The painted cardboard arch looks very natural and using the trim color on it really sets the wall off.

The gallon of paint cost $28. I spent about $35 on supplies, primer and wall texture material. I can use the supplies some more (I am going to repaint Kristen’s bedroom next month). I think the results make this project a full success and I did it pretty cheap. Best of all, Laura loves it.  That makes it worth it!

This entry was posted on Friday, June 19th, 2015 at 3:30 pm and is filed under Projects. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a reply

Name (*)
Mail (will not be published) (*)
URI
Comment